- Heritage Home | Family Genealogy | Recipes
- Name: Rose Bell Nelson
- Born: 05 Mar 1908
- Location: Greene or Washington County, Tennessee
- 1) March 16, 1926 - William Mack Stoots
- Location: Washington Co., TN
- Died: 17 Jan 1984
- Death Place: Johnson City, Washington Co., TN
- Children of William and Rose
- 1) Junior Frank Stoots
- 2) Leonard Columbus Stoots
- 3) Eva Pearl Stoots
- 4) Robert Paul Stoots
- 5) Samuel Grant "James" Stoots
- Rose played the
banjo with Mame who played the violin. The family story goes
William Mack married Mary Elizabeth Nelson. Rose's older sister
by 8 years. They had 6 children, 4 boys and 2 girls (one passed
before the age of 1). Mary Elizabeth died 16 Feb 1925 and everyone
told Mack he needed a mother for those kids. Almost 1 year later,
he married Rose and they 5 children, 4 boys and 1 girl.
- Maw Scoots, as we used to call her told me about going to
the movies every weekend with William Mack. And playing the banjo
for the family on Sunday's.
- When William Mack died 31 Oct 1938, Rose was forced to care
for all the children alone. They spent many years share cropping
in Limestone, Tn. Share cropping meant they lived and worked
on someone else's farm and shared in the proceeds of the harvest.
It was a hard life.
- One story Leonard related to me about Maw Scoots shows how
hard and serious their life was at that time. One night someone
tried to steal the mule they used to plow the fields. Maw took
out after them with a shot gun full of rock salt. She reportedly
hit one of the thieves and the mule was rescued by the boys.
- Eva Carey told her children that when she was young working
on the farms, it was her task to climb to the top rafters of
the barn and hang the tobacco so it would dry. And they would
take eggs to the local general store and trade them for bacon,
flour and other basic needs.
- One thing Rose made sure of however, was that her children
got a formal education that she wasn't allowed to attain. Her
children taught her how to write and read when they came home
- When Eva married David Carey, times were hard. The Kingsport
Press shut down and David lost his job. He moved the family to
Florida for another job that didn't pan out. But while in Florida,
their youngest daughter Vickie (who was 2 at the time) was left
in Tennessee and cared for by Maw Scoots for about 8 months.
Eventually David and Eva returned to Tennessee and settled in
Springfield Virginia outside of DC.
- Over the years Rose cared for a number of her grand children
and great grand children. In her senior years she moved in with
her sister Minnie Pearl, known to most as Pearl. She cared for
Pearl until her death, 24 Auk 1981.
- Rose's children purchased Pearl's house and provided Maw
Scoots with a place of residence until her death, 17 Jan 1984.
The house was then given to James Scoots.
- Mattie C. Bolinger Bible, (American Bible Society, New York,
- Rose Bell Scoots New Testament Bible, (A.J. Holman Co., Philadelphia,