- Heritage Home | Family Genealogy | Recipes
- Name: Eva Pearl Stoots
- Born: Restricted
- Location: Carson Creek, Tennessee - Washington County
- 1) November 19, 1949 - William David Carey
- Location: Washington Co., TN
- 1) Cynthia Gail Carey
- 2) Pamela Teresa Carey
- 3) Vickie Lynn Carey
was born into a large family of 9. She had 4 brothers and 4 half
brothers and 2 half sisters. The family story goes William Mack
married Mary Elizabeth Nelson. Rose's older sister by 8 years.
They had 6 children, 4 boys and 2 girls (one passed before the
age of 1). Mary Elizabeth died 16 Feb 1925 and everyone told
Mack he needed a mother for those kids. Almost 1 year later,
he married Rose and they 5 children, 4 boys and 1 girl.
- When Mack died 31 Oct 1938, Rose was forced to care for all
the children alone. They spent many years share cropping in Limestone,
Tn. Share cropping meant they lived and worked on someone else's
farm and shared in the proceeds of the harvest. It was a hard
- Eva told her children that when she was young working on
the farms, it was her task to climb to the top rafters of the
barn and hang the tobacco so it would dry. And they would take
eggs to the local general store and trade them for bacon, flour
and other basic needs.
- At Jonesborough High School, Eva played basketball. She met
David in her Senior year and they began dating. After high school
she entered into Nursing school. She lived in Jonesborough and
interned at Johnson City Memorial Hospital. Her first assignment
was in pediatric ER and ICU. She and David were married 19 Nov,
- They lived in a garage apartment that David built with his
uncle on his mother's property. They lived here with their first
daughter Cynthia and for a short time with their second daughter
Pam. They moved to a larger home closer to Johnson City sometime
before 1961. They were living here when their 3rd daughter Vickie
- The strike at the Kingsport Press caused David to seek new
work. He and Eva first moved to Tallahassee, Florida for a job
where they stayed with Cynthia and Pam during the summer. Before
September, they returned to Tennessee for Vickie and Rose Stoots
and stayed in Florida until the winter of 1963-64. They returned
to Johnson City during one of the coldest periods for the area.
David again sought work and moved to an apartment in the spring
of 1964 to Arlington, Virginia. He got a job with the Bureau
of Engraving and Printing where he stayed until his retirement
- In Virginia Eva found work as a nurse for a podiatrist Dr.
Arnold Sussman and worked there until she retired to care for
her Pam's first child Amy. She became a child care provider for
Pam's third child Aaron and another young boy Ross.
- She and David spent a good deal of time with their best friends
Elizabeth and Pete Simmons. Going out to dinner nearly every
weekend and later picking up the hobby of Square Dancing. Not
many know about her artistic abilities. She often made cloths
for the girls, knitted and crocheted, and was pretty fair with
drawing. A talent she passed on to Vickie.
- She still lives in the same home she and David purchased